POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : slope-dependent pattern : Re: slope-dependent pattern Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slope-dependent pattern
From: Rune
Date: 7 Jan 2001 07:12:17
Message: <3a585d21$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> I'd use a more verbose but more flexible syntax:
> slope {SLOPE_VECTOR, LOW_SLOPE, HIGH_SLOPE
>     altitude ALTITUDE_VECTOR, LOW_ALT, HIGH_ALT
>     type planar|point
> }
> The LOW...HIGH values would be optional for both slope and altitude.
> Note that the LOW...HIGH values are separate float values, not 2D
> vectors...I think vectors should be saved for points and colors, not
> ranges.

I completely agree. That is a good syntax. I think everything else than
SLOPE_VECTOR should be optional, but I'm sure that's what you meant too.
(You don't specify LOW_SLOPE without specifying HIGH_SLOPE too though, and
similar with LOW_ALT and HIGH_ALT.) The point type is something I've often
wanted myself. Interesting effects could be achieved setting the point to
the location of a light_source or the camera.

BTW, what do you think of the clipping suggestions I had?

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org